Home Test for Macular Degeneration
The Amsler Grid can help detect early signs of retinal disease and
monitor changes in vision after a diagnosis has been made. It should
not in any way substitute for the advice of a qualified health care
professional and it is not intended to constitute medical advice.
Wear your reading glasses or bifocals.
1. Cover one eye with your hand without putting pressure on the eye.
2. Look at the dot in the center of the grid.
3. Do not let your eye drift from the center.
4. All of the lines should appear straight and all of the boxes should
appear to be the same size and shape. There should be no distortion
on the grid. If any of the lines are missing, or they appear to be crooked,
bent, wavy or discolored, you should contact your physician immediately
for an examination.
5. Do the same test with the other eye.